Statement on the Bloomington Monolith

 


In Bloomington, there is always development going on.  It makes sense though as change and maintenance are always important parts of government work.  Still the east gate monolith is something of an eyesore and a bad reflection of what makes Bloomington Bloomington.  As my constituents have been dissatisfied with its creation, I promise to oppose it in any way I can if elected.

Having knocked on the doors of the various Bloomingtonian residents, every single person who is familiar with the Bloomington monolith has been dissatisfied with its design and price tag.  There seems to be little support for it from the community.  As someone who does want to represent his constituents' views in the city government, I believe that the best thing I can do for my constituents then is oppose it and support something with better design.

Speaking for myself, city art should be a reflection of the beauty and joys of the city in which we live.  It should give a sense of wonder and amazement when looked at that immediately gets you excited for the location.  Yes, Mayor Hamilton claims the design is based on the city’s history and development, but a giant red block doesn’t represent what makes Bloomington a great city in which to live.  For that reason, we should probably come up with an alternative.

Bloomington has a proud artistic tradition that should be reflected in its public works.  The old Bloomington mural that used to be in People’s Park was an example of how the city saw itself and it was a delight to look at.  In addition, various locations such as the theaters on and off IU campus, the Showalter Fountain and Hoagy Carmichael Statue, and the Sample Gates, to the many festivals of Bloomington such as the Garlic Festival, the Lotus Festival, and the 4th Street Festival of Arts and Crafts all speak to the artistry of this fair city.  Public art in the City of Bloomington should be a better reflection of that artistic tradition.

For those reasons listed, I will oppose the Bloomington East Gate Monolith.  My constituents do not want it, it does not reflect the culture of Bloomington, and it does not make for good art.  If elected, I will continue to do as my constituents ask on this and future issues as long as I am in the City Council.



Comments

Popular Posts